Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Using Both the Book of Mormon & Bible to Teach, Love Being a Missionary

Dear Family,
This week was a really good week.  Working with Elder Sellers is really nice, he speaks amazingly good Spanish.  He sometimes has a hard time understanding the Chileans, but so does everyone.  We get along without any problems, and I really have my fingers crossed that neither one of us gets transferred 2 weeks from now.  We have finally got the member who knows the lady who wants to become a member of the church to set up a family home evening.  It will be this week.    

There is a mentally challenged member in our ward, his name is Christian.  He is 32, is handy with the scriptures, and lives with his parents.  His favorite thing in the world is to work with us whether it’s confirmed teaching appointments or knocking doors in the rain.  He gave us a reference of a preacher who uses the Book of Mormon in his ministry, teaching about 60 people every week in the shed behind his house.  We have passed by that house about 6 times, trying to find the preacher, but we’ve never found him.  Saturday night, he was home.  He said he was busy, but he came out to open the front gate and we gave him more literature to read.  We were finally able to meet with him.  We found out he actually isn’t a preacher, but he does have a Book of Mormon.  His name is Amadeo, he is 83 years old, and is retired.  He worked many years for the PDI, the Chilean equivalent of the FBI.  Having a pretty sharp mind, he taught himself English using an old textbook.  We taught the message of the restoration in English.  The spirit was so strong, and he had really good questions.  I shared my conversion story with him, of how I came to know the truth for myself.  Towards the end of the lesson, he grabbed a Book of Mormon, and said, “I know that this book is true.”  Then he grabbed the Bible, and said, “I am not sure about this book, but I know that this other book is true.”  He is so prepared, and we are going to pass by this Wednesday with Christian.  We are teaching some other really good people, and I wish you could meet them all.  

A while back we were teaching a preacher named Roberto.  He has a very good handling of the Bible, and told us that he respects and admires the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a great deal, but will never join it because we baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  He is so set that baptisms should simply be in the name of the Son.  He then said if we could show him a verse in the Bible that explains baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, then he would join our church without question.  We stopped visiting him, since it seemed he only wanted to argue with us.  This morning, I was listening to a conference talk, and Elder Holland was speaking.  He said something that made me think to look up “missionary work” in the topical guide, and it led me to Matthew 28:19.  “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”.  I will hold Robert to his word, Matthew 28:19 has him.

I love you all so much, more than the number of paper clips it would take to make a paper clip chain between the International Space Station and the Statue of Liberty.

Sincerely, with lots of smiling,
Elder Withers


Dear Family,
I’m  glad you are all having a great week!  I can’t believe you are getting ready to leave Minnesota and are going to visit the east coast.  Take lots of pictures!  

This has been a good week and I am so grateful to be a missionary.  We are making lots of fun progress with the less actives and our golden investigators Roberto and Teresa.  They are progressing lightning fast and the only thing we are waiting for are the wedding documents and paperwork to come in the mail so that they can get married and baptized.  Woohoo! 

It is getting pretty cold, and my coat has been the best thing ever.  I love that it’s long, and I am totally ready for winter.  

Congrats to you Chad on all your success in Chile!  It’s amazing how the Lord puts people in our paths to find and teach, but so important to remember to do our part first so that we can be ready and worthy of the blessings.  Keep it up!  

Thanks for all your letters and messages of support.  I love you guys so much, and I feel lucky to be in South America.  My time ran short today because I had to do some paperwork on the computer (my reimbursements!) so sorry the letter this week isn’t as good.  Next week I will have more time and be able to send pictures (Ha...I have been promising for like a month now, but next week I really promise ;).  

I love you more than all the people I am going to meet this week through contacts!  
Hermana Withers



No comments:

Post a Comment