Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Baptism in Chile! Battling Crickets in Argentina

Dear Family,
Daniel was baptized yesterday, and that was the exciting point of the week.  His wife, who was baptized about 5 months ago is delighted, as well as the other missionaries who were previously teaching him.  We also had a chance to take Book of Mormons to early morning seminary.  The kids were great, even though it was so early, 6:00 am.  I don’t know how they do it because they have early morning seminary at 6:00 am, and a lot of them have classes until 5 pm.  We didn’t go to the Bavarian village yet.

I still think it is really odd that you guys are entering winter and I am entering summer.  It is getting hot here, and the breezes are lifesavers. 

Just so you know, I had to buy the zone shirt for my comp.  He spent 40 dollars on a guitar without me realizing, and then didn’t have money to buy the Zone t-shirts.  He is such a headache sometimes, but I am glad to see him work hard when he decides to.  I want to thank you all for all of your love and support.  

I realize it was a short letter.  There was some stuff that came up and the zone leaders needed some numbers and the cell phone service was terrible, so that was 10 min down the drain, and my comp is nagging at me.  I will write a bigger letter next week.  

I love you all so much.  I hope you have a great week.  I love you all more than the number of Legos it would take to make a Lego bridge to cross the Andes, to cross the Atlantic Ocean, and then cross the continental U.S. into Idaho.
Elder Withers


Dear Family,
How I would love to be entering into winter right now too......the heat has come back, and it has come much earlier this year than last year.  It is HOT.  And you throw in the humidity and you have a nice challenge in front of you.  We are at temperatures normal for December, which makes me scared for what December is going to actually be like.  

This last week was great, with two meetings in Santa Fe....which made for a total of 8 hours in a bus for one week.  It’s a ton of time.  Every hour we have in Galvez is like gold and we try to take full advantage of it.  We have met lots more people, and yesterday we had 12 people at church.  

Funny story, there is a big beautiful tree in front of our apartment, and from our balcony you could reach out and touch it.  (We live on the second floor, above a funny little place that sells wooden furniture and gadgets) anyway, with the renewed heat and humidity......the crickets have come back.  And the tree in front of our apartment has like a bajillion.  We close the sliding door each night because we don’t want any of them to come in, even though its hot we leave the door closed and turn the fan on full power.  But one somehow snuck in our apartment anyway, and in the middle of the night started to sing its super long song.....and it wouldn’t stop!  It went on and on and on and on, starting at 3am, and at one point started to get louder.....and at 5 am my comp couldn’t take it any longer.  I was too tired to really care about getting up and killing it, but she was at her wits end.  She turned the light on...and with a look full of hate and annoyance for the little bugger......started to listen carefully to locate where it was exactly.  It turned out to be under my bed, she moved my bed (at this point I woke up too) and she saw it, but was still a little groggy and moved too slow, it escaped her....she went back to bed and in matter of minutes it started cricketing again.  She stood it out, and at 6:30 am woke up so annoyed that she hadn’t been able to get rid of it. We found it later that afternoon and killed it....but for the rest of the afternoon, in all the patches of grass we walked through, she would stomp her feet every few steps killing all the crickets she could.  Ha......it was pretty funny, and she had me laughing all day.  She is a great companion.  Last P-day she taught me how to make what she called Chilean pancakes......and they turned out to be crepes :)  They are really good though!  I took good notes :)

This week really was a good one.  There really isn’t much new to report.  Our branch president is awesome, and is one of the greatest blessings here in Galvez.  Church leaders really are so important.

My mission is going by fast and the time really does feel like it’s escaping me.  I am trying to make the most of each day and week, and give everything I have.  I know December is coming quick, but if there is one thing I have been forcing myself to do, it is not letting myself thinking about it.  It’s working, but it’s also hard.  There are lots of missionaries who will finish with me, and some are trunky, and others not.  And I am giving everything to remain focused.  Because remaining focused is the least I can do to return with honor.  I love this area and all that I am learning.  On Wednesday I will have one whole year in Argentina.  Crazy!  This year has been awesome, the most spiritually, emotionally, and physically trying....but I know a mission has been the best decision of my life.  If there is one thing I have done right, it was my decision to serve a mission.  

I love you all lots!  More than all the people who have asked me what Halloween is like (it still doesn’t exist in Argentina, but its starting a little bit!)

Hermana Withers


No comments:

Post a Comment