Monday, January 19, 2015

Surviving in the Hot and Rainless Dry Heat of Chile

January 19, 2014

Dear Withers Family,
I salute all relatives that came to Rebecca’s report.  I hope they enjoyed their brief stay in the home of my upbringing... ¡Well it was fun talking a bit like Shakespeare, but let´s get on with the letter!  

Out here in Parral, it is very very hot, and rainless.  It is a dry heat, and I am grateful for a bike.  I hope it is all right with you all if I make some necessary adjustments on my bike, there are no reflector lights, and as it was a used bike the tread was wore down, and the air is always slowly leaking.  I got it spruced up. 

Also small announcement, my companion doesn’t want to go home out of shape, so we are going to the gym 3 times a week. 

I have decided that mote con huesillo, and harina tostada are 2 of my favorite food items here in Chile.  Harina tostada is toasted flour and you can put it in water, in milk, or in any drink, and stir it, with sugar, and it is amazing, and a great source of protein and energy.  Here they even put it on watermelon, I really like it.  It is a very Chilean thing.  If you can find it, buy some and try it.  If not, shoot me an email and I will get you hooked up, as it is very cheap.

I love the mission.  There are days, even weeks, even months when it seems very difficult, but the Lord will get done that which he has set out to do, we just have to obey the master and everything will work out.  Every day you learn something, and it really is great.  I know the church is true, and that Joseph Smith was the prophet of the beginning of the Restoration. 

I love you all more than the number of toothpicks and brownish red varnish it would take to make a replica of a California Redwood.  Have a great week.

-Elder Withers



No comments:

Post a Comment