Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Mother Feeling Grateful for a Guardian Angel Serving in Chile

March 9, 2015

Dear Family,
Well this week was a pretty good week, we have been greatly blessed lately. 

I usually don’t write you all about scary experiences that happen here in the mission, because I don’t want you worrying about me.  However, on Friday at about 3:30 and something minutes, God preserved my life in such a way that I feel compelled to write about it today.  We live on a big street, with about 5 or so lanes of traffic that travels at almost freeway speed.  We were heading out to work, after our post lunch study session.  We went to the crosswalk to get to the other side of Colón.  On the big street of Colón, on the corner with Juan Guillermos Sosa, there is a crosswalk, with cross and don’t cross lights, and all that stuff.  Half way across the street, there is another little island, or crosswalk waiting place.  I got to the middle, and was waiting for the cross signal.  It seemed that the cars weren’t going to go, so I foolishly decided to jog to the other side of the street, thinking I could make it in time.  I had to make it across three lanes.  I got about one and a half or two lanes down and then the cars got a green light.  I started running, and this would have been a much more delightful experience, had it not been for a car that was in the third lane, closest to the other side of the street, that was coming fast, because it never had to stop because the light turned green before it got there.  I didn’t see it coming because the 2 lines of stopped cars had kept it blocked from my view.  What happened next was all in God´s hands.  Somehow, the driver was able to see me just in time, and slow down just enough, to give me just enough time to make it to the other side of the street.  The missionary who was with me, (I was on splits) less of a stupid risk taker than I was that day saw it all play out, and couldn’t believe it.  He thought I was going to be knocked flat and killed.  It was a miracle.  Once I saw the car I sort of lost thinking ability and it was just an instinctive mad sprint, but I know that angels quickened my step, and the Holy Ghost must have helped the driver realize the foolish pedestrian and slow down just in time.  Mom and Dad, I promise to more closely obey the laws of traffic.  It was a close call.  I wanted to share this with you all just so that you realize that God is aware of each and every one of us and protects us from harm.  I will do my very best to ensure nothing like this ever happens again.

Teresa and Pia from last week´s letter are staying strong.  Teresa hasn’t smoked since we taught her the Word of Wisdom.  If you could keep her in your prayers, that she quits smoking it would be great.  

I love you all so very much, and am so very grateful to God for all the miracles big and small, noticed and unnoticed that have helped me here in Chile.  I hope you all have a great week.  I love you all more than the number of miracles that God works on this earth every single day.

May you have Heaven´s blessings in all that you do this upcoming week.

-Elder Withers


No comments:

Post a Comment