Thursday, May 28, 2015

Inspirational Quotes and a Testimony of the Book of Mormon

Dear Family,
 You guys are so awesome.  Thanks for praying for the people we are teaching.  It really makes a difference.

This week was a slower week than we had hoped for.  It isn’t always easy, but that is what makes fruitful moments all the better.  We had high hopes of finding some families, but a lot of plans fell through.  But those plans did not take our hope with them.  We will be at it again for this week, working harder and smarter than at any previous point in our missions.

This morning we had a zone activity of playing ultimate Frisbee.  It was a lot of fun, and luckily, no one lost the Frisbee.  

I enjoy trying to remember good quotes, and like anyone, I have heard hundreds of inspirational words of wisdom.  I have discovered that Elder Barnes also enjoys having a few good quotes, and in the house we often listen to recordings of inspirational speeches given at BYU.  Here are a few quotes I have grown to like:

“The grass is not greener on the other side.  It is greener where you water it.” 

“If you want to leave footprints in the sands of time, wear work boots.”

“Yesterday is ashes.  Tomorrow is wood.  Only today does the fire burn brightly.”

My comp had the great idea of getting together some good recipes from Chile.  There are a few members who have offered to write recipes.  I will bring home a small collection of what I deem to be the best foods this country has to offer.  Most of the ingredients are easy to find.  I won’t bring recipes for lentejas nor cazuela (lentils or casserole).

I will be sure to bring home a whole lot of Chilean candy.

Well just be sure that you know that I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  It is the most important book we can have in our lives.  I hope that all of us (myself included) can grow to more fully treasure it, study it, and openly feast upon it.  I have been thinking about the importance of the Book of Mormon lately.  The people who I have helped prepare for baptism and who had meaningful studies of this book are active, while those whose scripture studies were weak aren’t as strong in the Gospel.   

I know that this is the true church.  I know that my mission is a time to serve God by serving his children.  I am grateful for this time.  I sure wish I could have more time to serve, but the mission is only 2 years.  2 years spent teaching the gospel has been a great blessing and a time of growth for me.  I know there is still a lot to learn in life, but the mission has definitely prepared me for life’s challenges a whole lot better than anything else.  I am eternally grateful for the experiences I have had, and am continuing to have.

I love you all so very much.  More than the number of people who have felt the power of the Holy Ghost as they read the Book of Mormon.

Have the best week so far of 2015.
Elder Withers



No comments:

Post a Comment