Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Our Turkey Said "Moo"

Nov 28, 2016

Hello everyone!

I love getting pictures in the emails! Keep 'em coming! I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and that you got to spend it together. I bet it was nice to get a break from work and school and life and just relax! I had a nice Thanksgiving too, we went to the Boyle's for dinner. They were so nice! They have a missionary in California right now, so they said it was the closest they could get to having her home, I thought that was nice of them to share the holiday dinner with us. We ate waay too much, but it was worth it :) We really only get to do that once a year, so go big or go home!

Explanation of the title: one of our bishops had beef instead of turkey for Thanksgiving, and he said that to us, and we thought that was pretty funny :)

This week was great for me! We went to Bluff Fort last P-day, that's why we got back with just enough time to email and get groceries before our first lesson. We went out to Egnar, they named the town Egnar because at first they wanted to name it Range, but there was already a town called Range, Colorado, so they just put it backwards and called it good.... People do whatever they want in Colorado, it's kinda funny. Egnar is way out of town, we had to drive 10 miles on a dirt road from Dove Creek, which is already a tiny town! Anyway, our dinner appointment was out there, so we decided to head out early and see some other people while we're there. So, we went to a non-member's. She lives in really poor living conditions. She has a little trailer house, and that's about it. No running water, no electricity, no heat. Nothing! We helped her stack wood for her stove, and moved a few things inside so they don't get wet when it rains. Her home is full of junk, and her yard is too, and she has lots of animals. It's crazy, and she lives alone. But it was good to be able to help her for a little bit. Unfortunately, she's very Catholic and not very interested in the church.

One of the less actives we teach, Courtney, has decided he's on his last can of chew! We're so happy for him! He has 2 little kids, and he's really trying to turn his life around. He's been coming to church for the last few weeks too!

Krista has been doing well too! She's another less active. She's very shy and knows hardly anything about the church, but she likes having the missionaries over and teaching her. This past week we taught family history, and she's super interested! I love watching how the spirit of Elijah can really open people's hearts.

I love being a missionary! Sometimes in a lesson, I'll say something, and when I finish, I realize that none of that was me. I didn't have anything to say, and yet because I was willing and opened my mouth, I had something to say, and I was able to share the gospel. Missionaries get to see lots of tender mercies and miracles :) And the cool thing is, anybody can be a missionary! You can see these miracles in your life as you share the gospel!

I was reading a talk earlier this week in my studies about being a consecrated missionary. Consecrated means giving it your all, holding nothing back. In order to be a consecrated missionary, you have to put everything on the alter of sacrifice. And it goes for life too. We have to be willing to put everything on the sacrificial alter. We can't hold anything back. There's a quote from Parley P. Pratt I read, it was really good. He said: "If it is the will of God that I should spend my days in proclaiming this Gospel and bearing my testimony of these things, I shall think myself privileged and honored. And when the Spirit of God is upon me, I think it matters but very little what I suffer, what I sacrificed-whether I secure the honor or dishonor of men, or where I die, if it so be that I can keep the faith, fight the good fight, and finish my course with joy. I have all eternity before me, in which to enjoy myself." He was so selfless! He said that after he got home from one of his missions. He had been serving for 26 years at this point, and when he finally got home, Brigham Young asked him to serve another mission!! And this is what he said! He had a lot of faith! It makes me wonder how much am I willing to sacrifice, or how much am I holding back from the sacrificial alter?

I love you all so much, I hope you're doing well and that you keep up in life and all your crazy adventures :) I love you more than the number of bites that were taken at Thanksgiving dinner all over the world!

Sister Withers

No comments:

Post a Comment